On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Dave Nalle wrote:

> >>  I have samples of a markedly similar 19th century type called Italian
> >>  Print from
> >>  the Keufel and Esser Co., designed by Hermann Esser.  We've done
> >>versions of a
> >>  number of other Esser designs - see our Clairveaux, Belphebe, Rustic
> >>  and Sanctum,
> >>  but that particular design was so extraordinarily unattractive that
> >>  we avoided it.
> >>
> >>  Email me if you want to see a sample graphic of Esser's Italian
> >>  Print.  Of course,
> >>  this doesn't mean that the Esser design was the model for
> >>Cassandra - it wasn't
> >>  uncommon for many foundries (then as now) to have similar designs in their
> >>  catalog.
> >
> >Keufel and Esser was a civil engineering equipment company - surveying
> >equipment, drafting instruments, slide rules, and such.  Were Mr. Esser's
> >faces the models for the Leroy equipment that K&E developed and sold?
>
> This I don't know.  I'm not familiar with anything K&E produced besides the
> sample book which I found years ago in a a bookstore in Maine.  What is the
> Leroy equipment?
>
> The sample book I have is mostly technical and engineering
> type, but it does include a selection of text and display faces.  The
> sample book
> includes no explanation, except to say that the styles were designed by Hermann
> Esser for the use of Draughtsmen and Architects.  It's not even entirely clear
> that they are actual typefaces - they could be templates for hand
> lettering.  However,
> the printed samples seem pretty clearly to come from type, not hand lettering.
> They have a characteristic mechanical perfection which couldn't be achieved by
> hand.

That sounds VERY much like Leroy, which was a mechanical system for
producing drafting lettering from templates.  A picture of what a Leroy
set looked like is at

http://pages.tias.com/97/PictPage/1425397.html

Harvey

 Harvey Fishman   |
[log in to unmask] |           A little heresy is good for the soul.
  718-258-7276    |