>I was interested in ScanJam's Cassandra. At their website
>(http://www.scanjam.com/) they claim that the font was made for "Geek Pride
>Festival" and that the font was "born with the revival of a single
>nineteenth-century display type".
>
>Here's the interesting part: I recently came across a "Mr. French" font
>(http://www.mrfrench.com/dir_f.jsp?agree=true) called "Paydirt" that, from
>what I can tell of the screen sample, is the *exact* same font as ScanJam's
>Cassandra (details: Cassandra does have 5 other families)
>
>Waiting for a response from ScanJam will make me a bitter old man, as all my
>emails have gone unanswered. I'm going to post two questions I'm hoping
>somebody can answer:
>
>1. Did Mr. French copy this font or is this their version based off the same
>"nineteenth-century display type" that ScanJam may have been inspired by?
>Which brings me to my second question:
>
>2. Does anyone happen to know what "single nineteenth-century display type"
>ScanJam used as inspiration?  I'd be interested in seeing the originals, and
>how they were used.

I have samples of a markedly similar 19th century type called Italian
Print from
the Keufel and Esser Co., designed by Hermann Esser.  We've done versions of a
number of other Esser designs - see our Clairveaux, Belphebe, Rustic
and Sanctum,
but that particular design was so extraordinarily unattractive that
we avoided it.

Email me if you want to see a sample graphic of Esser's Italian
Print.  Of course,
this doesn't mean that the Esser design was the model for Cassandra - it wasn't
uncommon for many foundries (then as now) to have similar designs in their
catalog.

Dave
--

Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com