From: "greg adamson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "ISTF Privacy and Security WG" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Big brother is here in Malaysia.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:07:17

There is some more information at:

http://malaysia.cnet.com/news/2000/09/10/20000910a.html

including the statement:

"We strongly believe we are the only country in the world that has both
physical and cyber identity for its people. With GMPC, for example, we would
be able to track the identity of the driver behind the wheels during
roadblocks via the Card Acceptance Device (CAD) immediately and if an
offence occurred it will be recorded real time ," Mohd. Salleh said.

A multipurpose smart card is the aim of all players in the smart card
industry.  This is what smartcards were designed for in the early 1990s, and
to date no trial has got far at all (maybe buying a can of Coke with the
same card that you use in a pay phone).  From the reports it is unclear
whether this will be a genuine multipurpose card open to additional
developments or not.  At present it is limited to four government and two
non-government applications, but these are a local cash system called
Malaysian Electronic Payment System (MEPS) and a digital certificate.  The
solution appears to include a fingerprint or iris checker as well.  US$10
was the wholesale price a few years ago for a standard card with decent
security.

As far as privacy of data goes, if everyone who has anything to do with the
police, government, health or roads system has a device for reading details
off the card, I don't think privacy is an issue (there won't be any).

Greg

Chris Kwan wrote
>From: Chris Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "ISTF Privacy and Security WG" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Big brother is here in Malaysia.
>Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:02:00 +1000 (EST)
>

>Well I wanted to cut and paste the wonderful article from
>www.thestar.com.my about malaysia's newest hitech device "smart IC" but
>was unable as it breach copyright. Anyway, I have included 10 % of it
>which is allowable under international copy right rules and as long as we
>quote the source.
>
>http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2001/4/13/nation/1301crsm&sec=nation
>
> >From The Star
>13th April 2001
>
>More than personal details in 'smart IC'
>By C. Celestine
>
>PETALING JAYA: Imagine using your identity card to get cash from an ATM or
>pay bills. This may become a reality one day with the use of the
>Government Multi-Purpose Card (GMPC), which was officially launched by
>Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
>yesterday.
>
>"Life will be easier with the GMPC ... One day you can even swipe the card
>to enter your room. We will add more applications like 'Touch N Go' when
>all the systems are in place,'' said Abdullah at a soft
>launch of the GMPC at the National Registration Department (NRD)
>headquarters here.
>
>------
>
>For those who are not familiar with the term IC, it means Identity card or
>ID in the US. Our IC was introduced during the 50s so we can track
>communist supporters. We have ended our war with the local communist about
>10 years ago (correct me if I am wrong).
>
>I believe Malaysia should not implement this for the following reasons.

...snip...