Greetings Afrik-ITes!

Very limited debate underway for Africa's participation in
ICANN.  See the excerpt below from the Web site.

The GAC (governments) position on the assignment of
ccTLDs is:

> With respect to future delegations or reassignment
> of delegations, ICANN should delegate the administration
> of a ccTLD only to an organisation, enterprise or
> individual that has been designated by the relevant
> government or public authority.

That's quoted from

http://www.icann.org/gac/gac-cctldprinciples-23feb00.htm

When African delegates to ICANN were asked about the
role of governments, they did not address this issue.  Are
African participants in Afrik-IT in accord with the position
of the ICANN GAC?  Does it matter?

Cheers!
Jeff @ Nairobi