Subject: Re: Search Engines
From: Richard Lander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:38:52 -0500

I think that the two best options for solving this problem are: using
meta-data, as has been done with HTML, although in a simple fashion; and
using tag libraries, which will promote conformance of  structures such
as tables, lists and links, not simply tag names, through
de-facto conformance. I think that they are both good ideas and that they
can exist together.

The meta-data issue needs to be discussed, as the META scheme won't do
for XML docs. I assume that most people would like to see RDF
as the replacement. I remember reading about RDF about a year ago and
even writing a paper about it and other metadata schemes, but I have not
looked at it much since. Has much work been done in the area of
standardizing a scheme for web-pages, with cooperation from search engines?

Richard.

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Peter Flynn wrote:

> > I would have thought the elements would have to be along the lines of
> > <basedocns:author> and not <author> to work. Otherwise, there is just no
>
> Any attempt to bind meaning to element type names is going to run
> into trouble, I think. There simply too many conflicting demands
>
> > Also, what about searching for documents in another language?
>
> That's just one of the problems: I will want to use <auteur> in
> France, not <author>.
>
> > At least a
> > DTD can have synonyms.
>
> Can you explain this a bit more?