Subject: Re: Scala: harmonizing Mac font styles
From: Charles Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:14:00 -0400

William I. Johnston wrote:
>I just bought Scala and Scala Sans, beautiful fonts that are
>getting quite a bit of use now -- in ID magazine, Harper's,
>and so forth.
>
>I use PostScript fonts on a Macintosh. I was dismayed to find
>that the fonts aren't harmonized into a family.

I had the same problem a couple years ago, trying to fuse variants of
Gill Sans (Monotype's) into a family so's I could use command keys to
change among them. Below I've quoted my posts. I'll tell you
beforehand what "fixed" things. I was using ClarisWorks (and still
use AppleWorks) for general wordprocessing, and as it turns out, that
was the only program I had giving me Geneva instead of the correct
font. When I upgraded something (I can't remember whether it was ATM
or ClarisWorks) all the problems disappeared. In other words, it was
an application bug, not a Style Merger bug.

At 9:10 AM -0400 1998.08.13, Charles Wahl wrote:
>I did some more work on this: made new Fontographer databases and copied
>the characters into them; still the same problem. Also, ClarisWorks gives
>me Geneva in place of Italic, but Word 6.0 gives me the actual Bold font
>in place of Italic or Small Caps (mapped to Bold Italic). PageMaker seems
>to interpret the family correctly. So maybe this is an application bug,
>and not one in the fonts. I don't have this problem with the family I made
>for Sabon (not Monotype, Adobe). Sabon originally came from Adobe made
>into a family, but I did modify it somewhat in Fontographer (mainly
>substituting OSF for lining figures in the Roman, and making a separate
>font for lining figures), and created family information within the Bold
>and Italic, Lining Figures and Small Caps faces as well.

Hope that helps,
Charles Wahl  <[log in to unmask]>