Subject: Re: Type Design Ethics/Credits
From: William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:05:02 -0500

On Mar 27, 2006, at 5:23 AM, Rob wrote:

> I have recently had need to adjust some characters on an existing
> typeface so that it fits a little better with what I am working on.
> I looked high and low for a typeface that looked the way I wanted
> but decided the best way to achieve an appropriate look was to
> slightly adjust 2 characters on an existing face.
>
> What are the ethics to do with this? I don't want to claim the
> whole face as entirely my own work, because obviously it isn't, but
> i would like to show that I had some sensitivity and attention to
> detail in relation to the aesthetics of the typeface. How do I
> credit my work without stepping on the toes of somebody else?

This falls under ``derivative work'' in normal copyright
considerations. First off, you need to have the permission of the
original copyright holder to make the change. Second, you can't
distribute it beyond the bounds appropriate to the original.

I've done similar things under contract in the past, and I've just
listed it as:

Copyright (date) (original copyright holder), modifications by
(person doing modifications)

and told the client they needed to have a license for the original
everywhere the modified copy was used, and I only did this for faces
whose licenses allow modification.

http://www.typeright.org

has more specifics if you're inclined.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.