Subject: Re: CtO safe?
From: Randal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:30:18 -0500

At 2:58 PM -0500 2/6/01, ibbetson wrote:
>At 10:20 06-02-01 -0800, Hrant H Papazian wrote:
>>So the fact that the 600dpi [color] laser proof came out darker
>>than I expected shouldn't bother me? I seem to remember something
>>about convert-to-outlin-ed text getting fatter...
>
>The out-lines have thickness. By default they are outside the boundary
>lines. In Corel Draw clever tricks can get them centred on the boundary
>lines or even inside them, but this isn't normally available.

The outlines of convert to path text DON'T have thickness as a default in most draw programs. However, there is a different system for calculating the printout antialiasing for vector art and for text (and of course there is no hinting on vector art), so such text can appear very different -- especially in low-res lasers. In my experience there is little difference between convert-to-path text and normal text when output to a high-res lino.

--Randal