Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Poem by Cináed the Wise 4
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Feb 2009 05:31:26 +0000

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:05:26 +0900, Neil McLeod
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Elliott has already given us a transcription of stanza 4. I have broken
>it into lines in accordance with the metre of the poem.
>
>> BB
>> Coro-bris .iiii. catha cona
> > forna fáta finda
>> i n-enlo cono na.
> > _aít croda crinda

 Minor points only.  I've been staring at these manuscripts over the past few
days and this is what I think --

    The word in the second line looks like 'forsna' to me.  The second letter
looks more like an 's' than an 'r' and I thought the line above the 'f'
represented the missing letters 'or'.

  I don't think there's a fada in 'fáta'. It looks like the tail on top of the 'a'.
Compare it to the other 'a' letters of this scribe and you may see what I mean.

   Also, in the fourth line, the letter in front of 'ait' looks a bit like the weird 'c'
that  resembles a lower case 'r' but I'm not so confident about this.  I'm not
convinced there is a fada on '_ait'; it looks like it could be a stray ink mark.
But there is a definite ponc over the 't'.   Maybe the word is 'caith' or some
other word ending in '-aith'.

    I don't know what to make of the suspension mark after 'na' at the end of
line three.      Liz