Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Pangur
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:34:48 -0700

Hi All,

Jürgen wrote:

>> If we take messe in this way as the participle of midithir (DIL s.v.
>> meise), it is the counterpart of coimsid, furthermore in normal
>> construction with the copula am,

David responded:

> This is a convincing suggestion.

Very nice indeed.  I got to wondering in the midst of this, though,
whether "am messe" could mean "I am me/myself".  Does OI permit this
sort of existential statement?  And if so, could we have a pun here,
in which the author says "I'm really myself when I'm immersed in
scholarship"?  Did the medieval mind even think like that?

> du thabairt doraid du glé / for mu mud cein am meise/messe

= bringing darkness to light / in my own way/work I am competent
                                                   I am myself

Dennis