Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Samain & Mongfhind
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:28:51 -0700

Clodagh Downey wrote:

> As far as I know, this is the only reference to Mongfhind in connection with
> Samain.  It has been suggested also that she, like Sín in 'Aided Murchertaig
> maic Erca', may have been a sort of 'anti-sovereignty goddess', in that she
> does influence the course of sovereignty in these tales, and she does serve
> drink to a king, but it is to kill him and not to confirm his kingship.
> This any help?

Fíorspéisiúil!  Thanks, Clodagh.  So, if the "anti-sovereignty goddess" is
associated with Oíche Shamhna, is there evidence to associate the bestower
of sovereignty with Beltaine?  Just a thought.  And could the archetypal
sovereignty goddess simply have two aspects?  Máire Bhreathnach wrote a piece
in ZCP 39 called "The Sovereignty Goddess as a Goddess of Death", but I
need to get to the library to see if there is anything relevant there.

Dennis