Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Myth studies in OI?
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:11:14 -0800

Wade wrote:

> My question is, can any one suggest studies of myth in Early Irish
> literature/society, especially in journals not immediately apparent,
> so I can start coming up to speed and decide if a study is worth it?

I have the impression that "myth" was a growth industry during
the OI period and beyond, with old material constantly being
tweaked, recast, or drastically overhauled to support the
current aspirations of families, ecclesiatical establishments,
and political players of all ilks.  I don't know if anyone has
summarized this process in one article, but certainly examples
of "propoganda mythology" are scattered all over the scholarly
discourse.  The trick is often in recognizing the often-subtle
contemporary political message in a tale that on the face of it
deals with long-dead heroes and deposed gods.

Dennis