Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: B Esnada Tige Buchet (ETB) 472-473
From:Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 2006 04:03:53 +0100

The text:
472] Boí coire féile la Laigniu, Buchat a ainm. Tech
>> n-oeged fer nH-Érenn a thech in Buchet.

Elliott Lash  scríbas:

>"There was a generous cauldron among the Leinstermen,
>Buchet [was] his name. This Buchet's house [was] a
>guesthouse of the men of Ireland."

Michele scríbas:
>>There was a cauldron of generosity with the Leinster folk, named Buchet.
>>His house was a hostel for the people of Ireland, this Buchet.

Thanks, Michele and Elliott,

Here are Greene’s notes:

“coire cauldron”
“féile generosity; genitive singular line 472”
“ainm name”
“tech  house”
“oíge ‘guest’; genitive plural oeged”

My notes:
  I think ‘la Laigniu’ could be translated as indicating possession (DIL L
8.38) like “The Leinstermen had” or “Leinster had”.

    The first sentence, which describes the character as a grand man and
then says ‘Buchet a ainm’ is an Irish story formula.  It reminds me of the
start of “Scéla Mucce Meic Dathó” – “Boí rí amrae for Laignib, Mac Dathó a
ainm.”

  I randomly picked a few stories in the CELT database and found these
other examples in about a minute:
“Togail Bruidne Da Derga”--  “Buí rí amra airegda for Érinn, Eochaid
Feidleach a ainm.”
“Tochmarc Étaíne” – “Bai ri amra for Eirinn do Thuathaib De a chenel,
Eochaid Ollathar a ainm.”

‘fer’ (men)  refers only to people of the male variety.

‘a thech’ translates ‘his house’.

  I wonder if ‘in Buchet’ is a very old example of the Modern Irish way of
referring to a man by the article plus his last name, like ‘an Breatnach’
or ‘an Carthach’.   In English, the male head of a historically
important  family might still be called ‘the Mc Carthy’ or ‘the O’Neill’.

Here’s an alternate translation:

 Leinster had a generous cauldron.  His name was Buchat.   The Buchat's
house was a guesthouse of Ireland’s men.

 So how shall we spell his name in the story?  Both ‘Buchet’ and ‘Buchat’
look like nominative case to me in the text, but I could be mistaken.
Comments and corrections appreciated.  Liz Gabay