Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: De Bunad Imthechta Eóganachta 24
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:38:48 -0800

Neil McLeod wrote:

>> Toscumlat chuicci fir hÉirenn.

>> Doscumlat fir Erind chuici.
>
> "The men of Ireland make their way to him [i.e. to Éogan]."
>
> The infixed -s- anticipates 'fir'. And here it is in both MSS (which
> somewhat increases the likelihood that Lec's -s- in §22 was also in
> the original).

Do you mean that the infixed pronoun anticipates "chuici"?  As far as
I know, an infixed pronoun normally stands for the object of the verb,
and sometimes for the indirect object.  If "fir Éirenn" is the subject
of "toscumlat" (the 3rd pl. of do·cumlai), what function would an
infixed "them" serve?  There are lots of examples of the both the 3rd
sg. and 3rd pl. present tense of this verb in DIL, but this is the
only one I see with an infix.  (I question whether the lenited 'c' in
a few cases represents an infix.)

If the -s- does anticipate "chuici = to him", then it's an instance of
the Middle Irish all-purpose 3rd. person -s- infix, isn't it?

Dennis