Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: quatrain w/ mystery numbers
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:48:38 -0700

Seacht fedh Chonchobuir mic Nessa.
en fedh Adhaimh méd ngossa.
coic fedh Conchobhuir Mhaínaigh
isna daínibh innossa.

That is, I hope, an exact transcription of a marginal verse in the MS
formerly known as Stowe 992, now RIA MS iv 2, with the exception of
some added capitalization I provided.  As I read it, it says that
there were seven at the time of Conchobar mac Nessa, one at the time
of Adam, and five at the time of Conchobar of the Uí Maine (Hy-Many)
"...in the people now".  A riddle?  The answer?

The handwriting of the marginalist is a florid cursive, very much a
Gaelic hand but very unlike the staid bookhand of the main text.  I
may post an example of it from this quatrain.  If not, I'll post a
quatrain in the same hand from another margin. It also plays with
numbers.  The guy had a theme going.

Dennis