Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: De Bunad Imthechta Eóganachta 38
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:47:01 +0800

On 24/02/2011 12:48 PM, Liz Gabay wrote:

>>> Gabais Trâcht Delossath&   doforbertatar hi tír&   adrartatar inreth már&
>>> gabsit tír and ar chlaideb

>    They reached Delossath Beach and advanced inland and wreaked great
> devastation and captured land there by the sword.

 > gabsit – 3rd plural preterite of ‘gaibid’ (takes, captures)

But we have 'gabais', which is 3rd sg, referring to the 'Míl
Espáne tánaise'. We aren't told his name, but he is the leader of this second
wave of Milesians (the Gaels who migrated from Spain to Ireland, according to
pseudo-history). So 'he took'.

'Trâcht Delossath'. In Hogan's Onomasticon, the placenames beginning in
'Trácht' and (more numerously) 'Tráig' are followed by an adjective or a
noun in the genitive (rather than, say, the preposition de, di).

Delossath doesn't look like an adjective  - unless we  read -ath as -ach.
(And even then what would it mean?)

The ending -ath doesn't look genitive either, unless perhaps it is
gentive plural of a verbal noun. (But again, which one?)

Maybe it's not a name? 'Gabais trácht de (= di) lassath (= las(s)ad?)' = he
seized the shore by fury?

>    In the entry for ‘'do-fúapair' DIL gives ‘do forbairt’ as an example of perfect
> 3rd singular.  At D 275.76 it quotes ‘doforbartatar issin tulaig’. ‘doforbertatar’
> looks like a perfect 3rd plural form to me.

With, I assume, the first r being fixed ro: GOI §527(b). Here the plural verb
refers to Míl Espáne tánaise's army of 150 men.

> DIL A 67.43 quotes ‘adrartatar’ from our text as an example of 3rd plural
> preterite and perfect of ‘ad-reith’ (“runs toward, attains
> to....attacks....overtakes, arrests”)

Here I take it that the -ra- is from perfective  'ro'.

Neil