Subject: Re: 200ppi LCD displays
From: Laurence Penney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:19:42 -0000

>I wrote (I think;-)
>>Now I've finally got my head around that sneaky . . .
>
>God knows what I was on last night, but I think I was trying to say that if
>you have to hint a glyph to make it look nice at 10 or 12 pt it may as well
>be *any* typeface. Oh, I dunno. . . Forget it.

OK, I won't hold you to it, but your case is disproved if you've ever
exercised a font choice (other than sans, serif, or monospace) in anything
you did on screen. Including, of course, what font you read email in, web
page design...

There may only be 1.84 x 10^19 ways to design an 8 by 8 bitmap, but if you
allow that all (62? 224?) characters have that freedom, and that hinting
allows you to relate them all (in any way you choose) as the bitmap gets
taller one pixel at a time, you get quite a large number of combinations.
Number of atoms in the universe stuff, in fact.

-- Laurence