Re: Sorry Jill: at sign

Ron Koster <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:32:33 -0500

At 08:03 PM 12/7/1999 +0000, Roy Preston wrote:
>Strange, isn't it. We read '&' as 'and', yet it represents et.

Which means "and" (in latin), of course!

>My
>favourite's are the Garamondish italics.
>A ligature for 'the' would be nice. Fred Smeijers has one -- sort of -- in
>Quadraaaat; the e replaces the h's right leg. I think we could design a
>much simpler one?

Well, that's where the olde "ye" comes from -- the "y" isn't really a "y",
but a thorn (if I remember correctly) that represents "th", so "ye" is
actually "the". And if you recall how it often looks in old
books/manuscripts, the "e" is generally placed like a small superscript
right next to and above the "y" (i.e. the thorn), so that could easily be
turned into a ligature.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I've erred in my explanation!

Ron :)

On CD? How Peacefully The Trees-> http://www.psymon.com/art/
A Letter To An Imaginary Friend-> http://www.psymon.com/letter/
Sterling Moon Specialty Coffees-> http://www.sterlingmoon.com