AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

Monospaced Font

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  November 1999

AFRIK-IT November 1999

Re: Nigeria to Start Y2K Checks Next Month

Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:54:22 +0100

Kelechi,

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Kelechi Eke writes:

> This is actually my first time writing anything via this list.

This is quite obvious.

> Thanks, Patrick for the article on the above topic.

Patrick didnīt write the article, he posted, more or less verbatim,
the Ministerīs ridiculous statement.

> I personally didn't think that the article was intended to be a joke
> because I didn't find it as funny as Eberhard did.

You are quite right, the fact that it wasnīt intended as a joke, makes
it so funny.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are you laughing because your
> country is 100% Y2K compliant and Nigeria is not?

What does my country have to do with anything? Personally I have no
incling how compliant we are, though I know the Y2K-Director
personally and he hopes we will survive.

A couple of weeks ago there was the reference to this lousy article in
the Linux Magazine titled something like "Linux Wireless in Africa"
which I commented on as quite misleading. The very reason for the
article was the fact that the telephone system is so bad in Nigeria
that they can not even phone from one end of the OAU campus in Ile-Ife
to the other.

> Or are you one of those happy to see the hardship and drawback of
> the GIANT of Africa?

Giant? What giant?

Remember you are talking to people who not only know what they are
doing, but actually have been to Nigeria (and other places).

Who have actually tried to establish UUCP and PPP links on the 98%
compliant telephone system. Never mind "paying special attention" to
leased wires.

Who have seen the nominally 240 Volt 90% compliante power system
deliver anything from 100 to 500 Volt, if it was running at all.

Who have seen the development of the .NG DNS from very, very close
(the TCs of .NG (Abraham Grebrehiwot) and .NA (myself) have even
written papers about it together).

PULEEZE, who are you trying to impress here?

> And we are supposed to be Africans and yet some of us can't wait to
> see other African countries fall. Shame on you!!

This crap is so typical.

Or rather sterotypical, you like many Nigerians just donīt like to be
told the truth, thatīs all.

> I was rather embarassed by the article, just as I am with the
> overall Technology in Africa and just as I would have been if the
> article was about any other AFRICAN country.

What does "any other AFRICAN country" have to do with any of this?

> Stop rejoicing over people's struggles.

Who is rejoicing? And about what struggle?

> Help them if you can and if you can't don't laugh at them.

Well, it is quite obvious, that you have no idea, whatsoever, who I
am, what I do, and what I have done.

In Namibia, and elsewhere in Africa, Nigeria for that matter...

> You may think you've got it made but "No condition is permanent."
> Take the advice before somebody laughs at you someday!!

Donīt you worry a thing, I know what I am doing :-)-O

el