AFRIK-IT November 1999

Fwd: [GKD] Y2K Toolkit Website

Patrick O'Beirne <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:41:53 +0000

 From the American Council for Voluntary International Action:

>Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:22:11 -0500
>From: Jonathan Peizer <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I would like your help in distributing information about a Y2K toolset
>web site:
>
>http://www.interaction.org
>
>When you get to this home page at the top right click on:
>

> Y2K
> Y2K Toolkits for
> International NGO's - Now
> Available for Order
>
>You can help people deal more effectively with Y2K issues by simply
>E-Mailing this message to others who you feel would find the Y2K
>management tools on this site beneficial. What makes the toolkit unique
>is that it was created with issues of developing countries in mind and
>deals with areas beyond simply system failures. I also think it is
>unique in that it deals not only with Y2K preparedness and contingecy
>planning but also with remediation and disaster recovery AFTER problems
>have occured.
>
>While OSI did not participate in the toolkit's development, when we
>heard about it recently we did agree to help disseminate it to those who
>might find it useful by e-mailing our network of friends and telling
>them of its existance.
>
>My understanding is that toolkit was actually developed by a grant to
>AID.
>
>Sincerely
>
>Jonathan Peizer
>Chief Information Officer / Internet Program Director
>Open Society Institute
>
>ABOUT THE TOOLKIT
>
>The Y2K Management Tool Kits provide practical, comprehensive management
>tools for remediation, contingency planning, community readiness and
>emergency preparedness. They are generic "tool kits" that capture the
>necessary fundamental steps, are designed to "fast-track" and facilitate
>the work at all levels, shortening the calendar and manpower time needed
>to implement them. They can be used by organizations, information
>managers, system users and community readiness leaders.
>
>The Tool Kits can also be used to remedy systems after they have
>crashed, while the system users rely on the alternatives they selected
>during their contingency planning phase. The toolkits consist of paper-
>and CD-ROM-based tools, easy-to-understand step-by-step procedures,
>decision-trees, automated tools, and check-off lists. They are designed
>to be stand-alone tools, easy and efficient to implement, inexpensive to
>produce and easy to distribute widely.
>
>The Tool Kits can be used at any time in the sense that Y2K problems
>will need to be fixed, even after the rollover, and several issues can
>be addressed simultaneously. We want people to think in terms of
>prevention and anticipation now, and after the rollover, implemention of
>their contingency plan while they remediate to shorten the time of
>distruption. I'll be happy to get back with more details from Lawrence
>who worked on the design.

> [...]

That in turn links to http://www.novares.com/globaly2k/
Global Y2K Consortium

ToolKit#1 - Introductory Document
Introduction (89k Word6)Introduction (37k PDF)

ToolKit#2 - The Y2K Tool Kit for Organizational Systems
ToolKit2 Latest version of the Organizational Template (203k PDF) updated
10/11/1999
ToolKit2 forms Latest version of Organizational Forms (44k PDF) updated
10/11/1999
Organizational Y2K Management Tool (2.1 meg ZIP file) Updated 10/12/1999

ToolKit#3 - The Y2K Tool Kit for Socio-Economic Impact
ToolKit3 Latest version of the Governmental Template (389k PDF) updated
10/11/1999
ToolKit3 forms Latest version of Governmental Forms (63k PDF) updated
10/11/1999
Governmental Y2K Management Tool (1.9 meg ZIP file) updated 10/12/1999

ToolKit#4 - Community Readiness
Y2K Community (38k Word6)
Readiness Tool Y2K Community (39k PDF)
Readiness Tool
The PDFs above require Acrobat 3.0+ to view (see the download link below).
Printing on some inkjet/bubblejet printers may lose hairlines unless
Desktop Publishing or Photo quality is chosen. Most LASERS seem to do fine.
Tool Kit Registration Registering as a user of the Y2K Management Tool kit
is optional and voluntary. It will allow you to receive upgrades, and
access help resources such as List Servers and News groups.

  Patrick O'Beirne B.Sc. M.A. FICS. IT Systems Consultant
  http://www.sysmod.com Tel: +353 (0)55 22294 Fax: 055 22297
  Systems Modelling Ltd, Tara Hill, Gorey, Co. Wexford, IRELAND