Subject: Re: Halloween
From: Danielle Ni Dhighe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Nov 1999 00:21:42 -0800

At 08:33 PM 11/5/99 , bjones wrote:
 >>It's derived from a more sacred celebration where people would
 >>assume the role of the dead (in order to honor the ancestors) by
 >>wearing masks.
 >
 >Mexicans still do this as a Christian celebration within the Catholic
 >Church.

Yes, though I'm at a loss for the Spanish name of the festival, too.  All
of the Samhain traditions we know of are from the Christian era.  That's
one reason it's astonishing that some Christians are so anti-Halloween,
when many of the traditions they are complaining about have been practiced
by Christians for hundreds of years!

Danielle Ni Dhighe * [log in to unmask] * http://www.morrigan.net/
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller