Subject:RE: Herr Püterschein
From: "Nguyen, Phan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:28:11 -0800

> Did you see Unger's talk on WAD at ATypI?

I didn't, regretfully.

Unger wrote about Dwiggins' experimental newspaper type for _Quaerendo_,
around 1981 or so.

Alexander Lawson wrote a three-part article on Dwiggins' experimental
sanserif type in _Printing Impressions_ some time in the 1970s, which I'd
like to get a hold of. He also mentions the type in his _Anatomy of a
Typeface_.

> Are there any books on Dwiggins' life you'd reccomend?

I second JFP's recommendation of the Carter book, if you haven't read it
yet. You might also want to check out the two volume Typophiles chapbook,
_Postscripts on Dwiggins: Essays & Recollections_. There are a lot of other
books about WAD, but I haven't personally seen them.

While I was in Boston, I visited the Dwiggins Room and the Marionettes Room
at the Boston Public Library. However, someone else from ATypI was using all
the Dwiggins archives for some project.