Subject: Minion (Re: Helve regina)
From: Jean-Francois Porchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:31:11 +0100

le 23 11 1999 04 06, Andy Crewdson a écrit :

> Hmm.. Hrant I'd have to disagree with this. I work at a newspaper where
> Minion is the body copy face (oddly enough), so I have spent many many
> hours reading Minion (9.5/11, no less). I've never really noticed any sort
> of word-legibility issues like the one you bring up. Nevertheless, I'd say
> it's probably _not_ a good newspaper face (wasn't my choice).

Strange that you like Minion and reject it for newspapers. For me it's the
same problem or really close. As I say in an other message, Minion
calligraphy flavor is not an good feature to be enough neutral for reading.
Because of history, serif text typefaces need to be in typographical style
with not details viewed in particular size. Palatino have the same problem
in different way.

> Also, it seems difficult to even consider criticizing the face Bringhurst
> chose for his book, don't you think? :) That's tantamount to criticizing
> Michelangelo's choice of color palette.

I don't thing Hrant critic, was against Bringhurst choice, he only notice
something on Minion type, and unfortanetly, he find Minion on and Bringhurst
book, no more.

  Salutations, Jean-Francois Porchez
  Porchez Typofonderie, Paris, France
  http://www.porcheztypo.com/