Subject: Re: Opinion on Licensing
From: Bernie Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:34:46 -0500

Greetings!
I have found myself to be the 'father' of more fonts than I need. That
is of all the fonts I have my tendency has been to use the same twenty
or so. Not that I don't experiment but I tend to go back to the tried
and true. The other fonts weigh on my mind and I think if I can be more
creative with the ones I like-so much the better. Too many fonts to
choose from has not been helpful. Moreover, I like austerity and an
ability to make do with limited resources. Remember the days when the
Web was only allowed Times or Courier? Some great stuff was produced.
Having said that-I suppose you could suggest that typographers program
an expiry date into their fonts-say the school year-and charge
accordingly. Or have a program that will generate the time into an image
and have this program cease after a certain amount of time. Accordingly
your students could go to the Letraset or ITC and use the tools they
have there-provided their use did not become commercial.

Cheers,

Bernie Monette
InterActive Arts
Internet Presence Management