Subject: Re : On newspaper types...
From: andy crewdson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Nov 1999 19:41:19 -0800

>If I really think this question was off topic I never answered to it.

Ah... well.. i thought you said it was off-topic, so forgive me :) At any
rate, I do see that it is "off-topic" in the sense that I was broaching a
_new_ topic... but the list can hold multiple threads of typographic
discussion simultaneously, no?

Also JFP: having designed some (really great) newspaper types yourself, it
seems like you might be able to talk a bit about newspaper type design
considerations, etc. Also, you alluded to the Font Bureau having done the
NYT types.. do you know more about this or does anyone else?

>It's also an good idea if Andy tell us more about his question?
>What do you think about NY Times typography?

Well.. I don't know what to say.. I read the Times every day and enjoy
their type (quite good compared to most other papers, as you'd expect), and
figured some people on the list might know some interesting things about
it. I do remember reading in some NYT fact book that they referred to their
head face as "Imperial".. it does bear some likeness to Bitstream's
Imperial, and to other classic newspaper faces, like Corona, etc.

Also, did anyone else see the "last night of hot type at the NYT" film at
ATYPI? I really enjoyed it.. the interviews with the melancholy Linotype
operators were really nice.

On another note.. looking at an issue of << Le Monde >> last week, it seems
that they horizontally scaling their headlines, distorting them.. It
doesn't look like a condensed version of the face, it looks altered in a
typesetting program. Is this the case?

cheers/ANDY