Subject: Re: Maths (bb, kt?)
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:55:03 -0800

Roy Preston wrote:
> What's the difference between the fractions with a
> diagonal line and the ones with a horizontal line

The diagonal one is a compromise to:
1. The mechanics of typesetting.
2. The size of the resultant mathematical
   elements in the case of in-line setting.

Axel Reichert wrote:
> Any position between the baseline and the descender line
> seems odd to me, because there is nothing else aligned this way.

But there are more important things than alignment!
*Especially* in non-display typography. Don't let the
tyranny of superficial regularization impede true function.
!El grid chupa!

Barbara Beeton wrote:
> the horizontal line *should* line up with a minus sign and ....

I agree. This, combined with the necessity of not making the
denominator* tiny, means the denominator* should generally descend.

* And as a result the nominator too, generally.

hhp