Subject: Re : Re : talking about [old-style] figures
From: Jean-Francois Porchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:22:15 +0100

> OsF in tabular widths... yeah it makes sense, especially for annual
> reports. The full height Lining figures are too rough on the eye, and
> looks out of place with the text; the normal OsF with irregular width
> makes an accountant's nightmare.

full height of normal figures + the weight between Caps and Lowercases
looklike a word in all caps in an Lc text.

>>Now, I try to provide differents versions; like on Le Monde family:
>>
>>Standard version: Linining tabular figures, as maths like +, =, monetaries
>>symbols, and word space, single ponctuation are designed at the half of the
>>width of the figures.
>>OsF version (this version is marketed with the standard version): OsF
>>non-tabular
>>
>>SC: OsF tabular figures
>>

> Is OsF tabular figures a common feature in expert sets?

I don't know. The SC that I refer is not an Expert set  la Adobe, it's an
real SC in place of lowercases, with OsF tabular figures.

If one day, someboby need,"I dream" an Expert set for Le Monde who feature
the Lining figures non-tabular!

> I kinda like the Unger's Swift approach (before 2.0),

Probably.

or Luc revamped
> Thesis approach, ie, not the full cap height, somewhere taller than
> x-height but shorter than a full-blown cap.

yes, he do that, an good idea too, Zapf do something like that longtime ago.
But in this case, the figures are difficult in all cap headline or caption?

  Salutations, Jean-Francois Porchez
  Porchez Typofonderie, Paris, France
  http://www.porcheztypo.com/