Subject: Re: Re : small caps
From: Gregg Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:43:50 -0500

Jean-Francois Porchez wrote:

> gerhard kordmann écrit:
>
> >         noun screams "look at me, I am important". In English, where caps
> >         generally occur only at the beginning of sentences, this makes
> >         more sense. So different languages may go better with some fonts
> >         than with others.
>
> You go right on what I want that you go.
> Et voilà!
>
> Differents languages = differents typefaces.

Sorry to butt in, but you might find this interesting:  Visible Language, vol.
XXI, number 1, Winter 1987:  "Bi-Graphic Differences: Languages in
Con(tact)(flict)".  Includes an article by Alistair Crawford, "Bilingual
Typography" arguing that "on the basis of the questions raised by the
typography of Welsh -- a minority language with no typographic history -- that
if we are to regard typography as a subject and a discipline, as distinct from
a form of applied decoration or self-expression, we need to begin to consider
typography as essentially language-based." (p. 43)