Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: buiden léigind: Amrae Choluim Chille
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:04:58 -0800

Ar 7:24 AM +0100 11/3/99, scríobh David Stifter:

>Perhaps other people could comment a bit on the literary / historical /
>>cultural-historical aspects of the poem.

Does Nagy's book, _Conversing with Angels and Ancients_ provide
any new insights into the poem and its circumstances?

>I would propose to do paragraphs 1 and 2 of ACC for the next
>etappe. But I'd like to wait for two weeks till I post the next part of
>my commentary since it takes me a lot of time to prepare it.
>Maybe we could read something else in the week between, and we
>could proceed alternatingly?

Alternating prose with verse might not be a bad idea.  I still
have to locate a suitable anecdote in Sanas Cormaic.  Meanwhile,
the story of the killing of Fróech is available to all (complete
with dialog!) at http://www.eskimo.com/~donncha/tain1.html , so
if anyone has questions or comments about it, or wants to run a
translation past us, please feel free.

Dennis King