OLD-IRISH-L November 1999

Amrae Choluim Chille: conventions

David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Nov 1999 23:48:42 +0100

For all those taking part in the Old Irish reading group:

The first part of my annotations to Amrae Choluim Chille is about to
appear.
These are some of the conventions I will use in my commentary on
Amrae Choluim Chille:

With verbal and nominal forms that are basically clear I will try to be
as short as possible.

Nominal forms I will analyse according to following order: case,
number, gender, stem-class.
The abbreviations will be:
nom = nominative, gen = genitive, dat = dative (I will stick to that
name, although in the Old Irish course I hope to start publishing on
the internet in the next couple of weeks, I no longer use the
designation “dative”, but “prepositional” instead), acc = accusative,
voc = vocative.
sg = singular, du = dual, pl = plural.
m(asc) = masculine, f(em) = feminine, n(eut) = neuter.
 o = o-stem, a: = long a-stem, io, ia:, u, i, i:, g = lenited g-stem (like
rí), k = lenited ch-stem (like cathair), d = lenited d-stem (like fili), t =
unlenited d-stem (like dét), n = n-stems (there are many
subclasses here, and I’ll go into more detail when we come across
one), r = r-stem (like máthair), s = s-stem (like tech).

Verbal forms I will analyse according to following order: person,
number, diathesis (active being the default position), tense, mood
(indicative being the default position), dependency, inflectional
stem.
The abbreviations will be: 1 = 1st person, etc.
sg = singular, pl = plural.
The inflectional classes will be according to McCone’s Early Irish
Verb: W = weak verbs, H = hiatus verbs, S = strong verbs (with all
their many subclasses).
dep = deponential.
pr = present tense, ipf = imperfect, f-fut = f-future, s-fut, i-fut, a-fut,
é-fut; s-pret = s-preterite, t-pret, redupl-pret, á-pret and other
special types.
ind = indicative, a-subj = a-subjunctive, s-subj, e-subj; ipv =
imperative.
act = active, pass = passive.
abs = absolute, conj = conjunct, deut = deuterotonic, prot =
prototonic.
augm means augmented, that is a verbal form with the augment ro
(or variants).

Infixed pronouns will be analysed thus: person, number, class (A,
B, C).

^L, ^N, ^H after a word or a form mean that lenition, nasalisation or
aspiration follows.

My conventions for writing reconstructed forms will be: in Indo-
European forms a lower-case h without index-number following a
consonant indicates aspiration of the consonant, a lower-case h
with index-number indicates a laryngeal, an upper-case H indicates
a laryngeal without nearer specification. In Indo-European and
Celtic forms a circle ° following a consonant indicates a labiovelar,
e.g. the root g°hedh “ask” (OIr guidid); an apostrophe ’ following a
consonant indicates palatalisation, e.g. PIE k’erd- “heart”. Long
vowels are written with a colon after them (e.g. long a = a:), y and
w stand for nonsyllabic i and u. I will indicate schwa with the @
symbol.

Frequently used abbreviation:
ACC = Amrae Choluimb Chille
CC = Common Celtic
CM = Clancy / Márkus’s edition and translation of ACC
ME = medieval
PIE = Proto-Indo-European
VH = Vernam Hull
WS = Whitley Stokes; his edition of ACC

Books and articles I quote frequently will be abbreviated:
CCCG = Pedersen, Lewis, A Concise Comparative Celtic
Grammar, Göttingen 1937
CM = Thomas Owen Clancy and Gilbert Márkus, Iona. The Earliest
Poetry of a Celtic Monastery, Dún Eideann 1995
DIL = Dictionary of the Irish Language. Based Mainly on Old and
Middle Irish Materials, Baile Átha Cliath
EIV = Kim McCone, The Early Irish Verb. Second Edition Revised
with Index, Má Nuad 1997
GOI = Thurneysen’s Grammar of Old Irish, Baile Átha Cliath 1946
LEIA = Vendryes et alii, Lexique Étymologique de l’Irlandais Ancien,
Baile Átha Cliath 1981 ff.
VH = Vernam Hull, Amra Choluim Chille, ZCPh 28
WS = Whitley Stokes, The Bodleian Amra Choluimb Chille, RC 20,
1899

David