Subject: Re: more on handwriting, etc.
From: Jonathan Paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Oct 1999 22:22:48 -0400

Kate Gladstone's  description of scribal chaos in the USA rings a lot
of familiar bells, except for one point:

>Too often, s/he won't & doesn't [pick up cursive handwriting] - or
>at least, not until months or evenyears of work have been missed
>because s/he couldn't read the blackboard orother teacherly prose.

I may have been bounced around between schools and writing styles for
my first three or four years of elementary school, but I don't think
I was ever unable to read the teacher's writing, whatever its style
(at least until the later years of high school, but that's another
matter). I just couldn't write the way they wanted me to.

Also, I hope that the reaction to chaos doesn't lead to rigidly
enforced uniformity. I'm all for consistency (I'm primarily an
editor, after all), but I think there must be some room for
individuality even in learning to write.

Jonathan Paterson