Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Old Irish Spell
From: Francine Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:09:13 -0400

> From: Lisa L. Spangenberg [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>
> Questions about the "Charm of Making" and the wretched 21 Lessons of
> Merlyn are probably two of the top five questions I see being asked
> outside the scholarly arena.

        My pet peeve along these lines is the business about the Ce/li De/
being an order founded by Colum cille to protect druids from being
persecuted. That particular bit of nonsense can usually be traced back to
Ross Nicholls' _Book of Druidry_, but it seems to be getting wider airplay
as time passes, and has somehow been linked to the Book of Deer.

> It would be nice to vanquish both of them, and redirect the interested to
> real sources.

        It would indeed, but one has to accept that sometimes people don't
want to their "myths" to be vanquished.

        Francine Nicholson