gametophyte:tetrasporophyte ratios

Alan Whittick <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:43:20 -0200

Hi folks,

I am interested in obtaining information on the ratios of gametophytes to
tetrasporophytes in rhodophyte populations, particularly those with
isomorphic tetrasporophytes and gametophytes. I know of many examples where
tetrasporophytes predominate, including populations that lack gametophytes.
My question is "does anyone have information, either published or
unpublished where there is a predominance of gametophytes?" I know of
studies involving foliose gametophytes with crustose tetrasporophytes,
where the gametophytes appear to predominate, but then this may be due to
greater difficulty in counting crusts and defining just what is a "plant."
Any information would be gratefully received. I there is a recent review
article that I have missed please let me know, I have been embarrassed

 * Alan Whittick Ph.D. Office phone: 709-737-7517 *
 * Professor Home phone: 709-753-0626 *
 * Department of Biology Fax: 709-737-3018 *
 * Memorial University Email: [log in to unmask] *
 * St. John's Web: *
 * Newfoundland *
 * Canada A1B 2T5 *

listserver list run by [log in to unmask]
You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to
[log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.
If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner.