AFRIK-IT October 1999

Re: Pegasus Mail

Andrew Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:28:12 +0100

Hmm,

I'm guessing, and this *is* a sledgehammer approach
to cracking a nut, but....

I think Pegasus mail stores its folders in standard "mbox" format.
This means that you could probably dump each folder in turn
in the relevant mailbox of a "mbox" type Unix/Linux mail server
(e.g. running Sendmail) and collect it again with your new client
using POP3. After each folder has downloaded, move all the
messages into the corresponding new folder in your new mail
client. Dump a folder into your "mbox" with e.g.,
        cat folder-file >> /var/mail/your_mailbox_name

Notes on this approach: Get your folder file(s) onto the Unix
server by ftp-ing as ASCII *not* binary, to convert line breaks
properly, and turn off mail delivery (e.g. Sendmail) while you
do this to prevent corrupting your messages if one arrives
during the dump.

Alternatively if the mail server you use is a bit more with it, i.e.
Qmail (spot the prejudice against Sendmail), you can convert
"mbox" format files into "Maildir" mailboxes with scripts you find
under www.qmail.org. No need to turn off mail delivery for this.

The above solution is probably only sensible if you have root
access to the server and you're connected directly via LAN
not modem.

cheers,

Andrew Richards.