XML-L September 1999

Re: XML Vs. Database

Mike Ball <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:31:30 +0100

I apologise in advance if this reply is seen as a bit of advertising but I
think its very much on-topic.

Hazem Turki El Khatib wrote

> I am still walking around XML and Relational Database, trying to
> find better
> way to store data. I came through some questions which may help
> me distinguish
> the difference:
>
> 1) Is there are like DBMS for XML to manage data in XML ?

Yes, one such is Tamino from Software AG (my employers). This is the first
DBMS to store XML documents in native XML format and as such is much faster
than solutions which translate XML for storage on e.g. relational DBMS.

For more info. check out http://www.softwareag.com/tamino

Some people will say that XML is just a format for data exchange and that
you don't need to store it in a DBMS. Maybe so, but a XML DBMS reduces the
amount of data manipulation and coding effort and will make your
applications simpler and faster.

> 2) Can we store as much data in XML as in relational database ?

Tamino groups related types of documents into collections. You can have
approx. 2 Billion documents in a collection.

> 3) I think there is only one nonstandard query language for XML
> (XML QL), is
>    that right ?

XQL is the most common XML query language and is very closely related to the
pattern matching language used in XSL. XML-QL tries to be more like SQL(it
has SELECTs and JOINs) but doesn't seem to be as popular. Neither of these
is a W3C recommendation (yet).

> 4) Which is faster in storing and retrieving data from ?

Don't know.

Try here http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/

> 6) Is there any work to replace database with XML ?

I'm not sure I understand this question. XML and databases are not
incompatible. In this age of many different types of data (XML, multimedia,
relational, objects), databases will surely evolve to be able to store many
types of data including XML.

> Your help is appreciated.
>

> Thanks
> --
> Hazem Turki El Khatib
> Computing & Electrical Eng.
> Heriot-Watt University

My opinions only. Hope its useful.

Mike Ball

Integrated Electronic Business Consultant
Software AG UK