Subject: Re: Creating entities with XSL 19990813
From: Edd Dumbill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:08:26 +0000

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:49:14AM +1200, Warren Hedley wrote:
> Personally, I would still like to generate &nbsp; in my output
> directly, as it is more familiar to the HTML people who might be
> writing XSL stylesheets. Surely there must be a way to do this.

&nbsp; is an entity defined by HTML, not XML. XSL stylesheets must be
XML documents, which creates the problem of &nbsp; not being a defined
entity.

There we run into problems, as there is XML1.0 DTD for XSLT, as XML1.0
DTDs don't support namespaces as used by stylesheets.

Using XT, I've been able to achieve the desired effect by doing this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
<!ENTITY nbsp "&#160;">
]>
<xsl:stylesheet  ....

I've then been able to use the entity &nbsp; in my stylesheet.

But this is a nasty hack as far as I'm concerned, and I don't use it: it
takes advantage of the fact that there's no DTD for XSLT. I certainly
wouldn't know if it'll continue to work...

My take: it's a lot easier to remember to write &#160; !!!

--
Edd Dumbill ------/ a new media consultant, writer & technologist /--
 | Director, Useful Information Company        <http://usefulinc.com>
 | Internet Director, Pharmalicensing    <http://pharmalicensing.com>
 : UK voice/msg: +44 702-093-6870            UK fax: +44 870-164-0230