Subject: Re: Re-hashing Mixed Content in DTD
From: Richard Light <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:28:37 +0100

In message <[log in to unmask]>,
John Robert Gardner <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I know I should know better, and maybe my RTFM brain is getting lazy,
>but--unless I'm mistaken, I can't mix PCDATA and a content model, right?
>
>E.g.,
>
><!ELEMENT foo (#PCDATA | this, that, theotherthing)*>
>
>WIth the intent that foo contains _either_ PCDATA _or_ the sequence of
>"this, that, theotherthing"; but _never_ both.  Yes?

That's right, you can't do that.  #PCDATA can only occur in 'mixed
content', for which the model has to be of the form:

<!ELEMENT foo (#PCDATA | this | that | theotherthing)*>

SGML allows the sort of model you would like to have, and this
capability gives rise to lots of problems.  So for XML it was axed.

Richard Light.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy