Re: XML Vs. Database

"DuCharme, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:31:15 -0400

>If we have our data in an XML repository, we can always import it into
>whatever database works best for us at the time.
>Is this a fair/valid statement?

It might be a bit of a stretch to say that every DBMS-related program from
now on will be able to read XML 1.0 data. I would qualify it by saying this:
Well-formed XML documents with good element type and attribute names are
"self-describing" data, so unlike comma- or tab-delimited files, it's much
easier to look at something that's been sitting around for years and figure
out what's what. It's even easier when a DTD is available.

Although popular software these days can't necessarily read the popular data
formats from 15 years ago, the fact that many of those were binary and XML
is self-describing text means that if extra steps are necessary to read in
XML 1.0 data into an application developed in the year 2014, they should be
trivial steps. By then, people will say "it's just a three-line Thnad (or
Vroo or Zatz or Floob) script, or 5 lines of Python if you're old and gray
and prefer those cranky old-fashioned scripting languages!"

Bob DuCharme www.snee.com/bob <bob@
snee.com> see www.snee.com/bob/xmlann for "XML:
The Annotated Specification" from Prentice Hall.