Subject: Re: New Romantics
From: Neil McEwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:18:16 -0300

At 09:22 AM 9/7/99 -0500, Gearóid Mac Cuinneagáin wrote:

>I've snipped most of this.  Invoking the name of Mandela, for example,
>doesn't impress me as a tactic to justify Welsh arson, unless you want to
>argue an equivalence between the treatment of Welsh & Apartheid.

  There is no equivalence, but that is not to say that what the Welsh face
isn't serious in its own way.  Neither the Zulu nor the Xhosa cultures were
ever threatened to the degree that Welsh is today, for example.  Naturally,
the Welsh are too white to ever fully engage liberal sympathies, but apart
from that I think they have a case.

Neil