Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  September 1999

AFRIK-IT September 1999

Fwd: F&CO Y2k Report On Uganda "Inaccurate and Out Of Date"

Patrick O'Beirne <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:54:57 +0100

>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Uganda National Y2k Task Force" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: F&CO Y2k Report On Uganda "Inaccurate and Out Of Date"
>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:42:14 +0300
>PAA18471
>
>Press release - no embargo
>
>---------------------------------------
>
>Press Release Regarding UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (F&CO) Y2k Country
>Assessments in the press 14th September 1999 and at www.fco.gov.uk/travel
>
>1.  "We were very much looking forward to an open and honest report of
>Uganda's Y2k status from on the F&CO web page and in the UK press.  We knew
>these travel advisories were being prepared, and so we went to great lengths
>to liase with the British High Commission in Kampala to ensure that they had
>a flow of up to date information.   Unfortunately we were dismayed that not
>only the web page but also the press briefings in London launching this new
>information service were based on inaccurate and a report that is at least 6
>months out of date.
>
>"I am requesting that F&CO review the information on their web site in the
>light of the documents the National Y2k Task Force made public and sent to
>the BHC, Kampala and the F&CO desk officer in London.  We expect an
>apology."
>
>Elisha Wasukira
>National Y2k Task Force, Uganda  14th September 1999
>
>2.  Chronology and availability of Y2k related information regarding Uganda:
>
>a) Early 1999: A preliminary report compiled very early this year by BHC.
>This was as the basis for the travel advisory published on 14 September
>1999.  However, it was never intended for this use, contained inaccuracies
>and is now 6 months out of date.
>
>b) It was reviewed by the National Y2k Task Force project manager in early
>June, and BHC agreed that it was not suitable for publication since some
>facts were incorrect, and others were out of date.
>
>c) An updated evaluation was submitted on the 21st July and was accepted by
>the BHC to be used as the
>basis of the travel advisory, to be supplemented by subsequent Position
>Statements
>
>d) On 16th July the June Position Statement was published on the web, and
>hard copies sent to BHC and handed directly to the F&CO desk Officer for
>Uganda
>
>3.  We must request again to F&CO that our web site address be quoted on the
>F&CO web page to allow those interested to link through to the latest
>position statement on our homepage www.y2kuganda.go.ug
>
>4.  The information published by F&CO regarding Uganda has some facts that
>are  incorrect, and others that are out of date:
>
>In particular:
>
>a) F&CO: "Uganda Telecom Ltd (UTL) say that there will be no disruption of
>their services but independent and interested organisations like Internet
>service providers and mobile phone companies disagree. "

> [...]

  Patrick O'Beirne B.Sc. M.A. FICS. IT Systems Consultant
  http://www.sysmod.com  Tel: +353 (0)55 22294   Fax: 055 22297
  Systems Modelling Ltd, Tara Hill, Gorey, Co. Wexford, IRELAND