AFRIK-IT September 1999

Telecentre Initiative

Jonathan Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:31:58 +0200

One of the key outcomes of the Building Information Community in
Africa (BICA) international event held in South Africa last February
was the proposal to produce a CD and associated Website to serve the
worldwide telecentre community. The objective was to create a medium
to collate and continuously deliver critical information to telecentre
operators and potential operators as well as other stakeholders. This
would allow them to initiate and sustain telecentres throughout the
world.

We have now put together a proposal to meet that need and I'm
delighted to advise that the British Council (the major sponsor of
BICA) and the ITU have endorsed it and will likely provide seed
funding to get the project going.

This e-mail is to invite you to consider contributing content to the
CD and the Website. Should you express your interest below, we will
immediately send you a summary of the full proposal.

Our intention is to produce the first edition of the CD within the
next two months, because it has been identified as a key deliverable
for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting due to take place in
South Africa in November. Even better, we may be able to have a
prototype ready by ADF 1999, in which case we will request the
opportunity to have it on display there.

Please mark the relevant items below with a YES and return this e-mail
to us:

____________________________________

Please send me the summary proposal for the Telecentra CD and Web
Site....

I have/am preparing material such as telecentre manuals, business
planning models, approaches to achieve sustainability, empirical
research, case studies, etc., that I would like to contribute to the
CD ...
(attach documents, or point to web site if you wish)

I know people who may be interested in this project/ have material
they may wish to contribute ..
(contact details please)

Please keep me informed as to progress on this project ..

Please send me the CD when it is ready ..

Kind regards

Jonathan Miller
Peter Frampton

Telecentra Publishing