Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject:Re: triads & "trífhocail"
From: Sean O Seaghdha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:58:09 +1000

Ar 14 Aug 99, ag 17:38 scrobh Dennis King
fn bhar "triads & "trfhocail"":

> I'm curious if anyone knows of any recent studies on three-word
> sayings, and if anyone has ever encountered a specific name in
> Irish (or any other language) for this formula.

I know this isn't at all what you are asking for, but I imediately
thought of this little Chinese gnomic poem a friend taught me some
years ago.  Each line is a three character saying.  The characters
are in Big5 | GuoBiao | HZ encodings.  The translations aren't
terribly good.

_o  |    |  ~{Fp5CTg~}
Qi1 d zao3
irigh go moch
Early to rise

on  |  ˵ú  |  ~{K55C:C~}
shuo1 d hao3
labhair go maith
speak well

C  |  ߷ֱ  |  ~{F_7V1%~}
qi1 fen1 bao3
seacht ndeichi ln
seven tenths full*

`]]  |    |  ~{3#E\E\~}
chng pao3 pao3
rith go minic?
run often (exercise/walk often?)

h  |  ЦЦ  |  ~{6`P&P&~}
duo1 xio xio
gire go leor
laugh a lot

дo  |  Ī  |  ~{D*73DU~}
m fn nao3
gan imn choche
never be worried

ѤѦ  |  æ  |  ~{LlLlC&~}
tian1 tian1 mng
gnthach gach l
busy every day

äѡC  |  ϡ  |  ~{S@2;@O!#~}
yong1 b lao3.
g go deo.
forever not old.

*the verb bao3 means "to eat/drink your fill"
 S e  n      S  a g h d h a                   [log in to unmask]

Mind precedes its objects. They are mind-governed and mind-made.
To speak or act with a defiled mind is to draw pain after oneself,
like a wheel behind the feet of the animal drawing it.        Dhammapada:1