Re: XML databases V ordinary databases

Eoin Campbell <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:27:01 +0100

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:57:47 +0100, Kieran O'Shea wrote:
> Can anybody tell me the benifit of storing and retriving
>information in
>a relational database in XML format using JDBC over ordinary SQL access?

Sean Mc Grath replied:
>> I'm not sure I have understood the question. Do you mean,
>>"given an RDB with XML in it, which is better for retrieval JDBC or SQL?"
>>If this is what you mean then one benefit that springs to mind is that with
>>JDBC you can parse and further process the XML as soon as you get it out of
>>the RDB. With SQL, you would have to serialize to disk and then parse the
>>XML.

Another reading of the question:
Which is better?
a) Store XML markup with the information, and retrieve
   chunks of well-formed XML directly (using JBDC or whatever).
b) Store it in pure relational form (with no markup),
   retrieve it (using SQL), wrap the information in XML tags,
   and then pass it on for further processing.

In this case, I think the answer depends on the nature of
the data. If it is very textual, then it is best stored in
XML. If it is straight tabular data (e.g. accounting), then
it is better stored in a standard relational table rows and fields.

--
Eoin Campbell, Technical Director,
XML Workshop Ltd,