Subject: Re: Paragraph spacing in XML
From: Patrick Durusau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:26:48 -0400

David,

I am not sure why you want to insert the extra line information in the XML
itself. DynaWeb (a predecessor of Dynabase) used stylesheets to generate
separation between paragraphs (if that was what you wanted) from SGML source. I
assume that capacity persists in the later Dynabase.

David Minehart wrote:

> On our magazine's web site (generated as HTML from an XML repository using
> the repository's own scripting language), there are places where we wish to
> add an extra line space between paragraphs when they are displayed after
> conversion to HTML or ASCII. For instance, above and below a block of text
> that is a program listing within an article. I'd be interested in how
> people would recommend going about this within the XML itself.

<snip>

> So, short of putting all the character definitions in my DTD (perhaps via a
> call to iso-latin-1, which I've not been able to do in a way that works
> with both Dynabase and Omnimark, with DTD on http://; any suggestions?), is
> there a way to add extra line spaces in my XML tagging, and that won't
> impact my spacing elsewhere in the document (i.e., by making returns within
> tags count as returns in the output)?

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau