Subject: Re: Can Letters with accent marks be used in a XML document?
From: Miloslav Nic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:20:06 +0200

I would recommend to use UTF-8 all the time. In this moment it is a bit
problematic because most editors does not support this encoding, but it
is supported in new versions of both Netscape and IE.
If you put :
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
then the pages will display correctly regardless of current browser
In my work I am using common tools and transform to unicode with my
converter based on java API

Deepak Chandran wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the help and advice.
> >Consequently, you have to specify this encoding at the top of your XML
> >file:
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
> Does Setting the encoding scheme of the document to 'windows-1252' mean
> that the document now would become platform dependent? I hope this is a
> valid question.
> >A common representation of "a" with an umlaut is &auml;, but this has to
> >be declared before a processor understands it.
> Does declaring mean to declare it in the DTD i have created? Another
> interesting thing i noted was that if i used &auml without any declaration,
> IE5 did not display the document. But I used the equivalent numeric Entity
> which is '&#228;' in the same document, IE5 displayed it without any
> problem. Why?
> Regards,
> Deepak

Dr. Miloslav Nic                        e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of Organic Chemistry         TEL: +420 2 2435 5012
ICT Prague (VSCHT Praha)                     +420 2 2435 4118
                                        FAX: +420 2 2435 4288