Re: ANN: new Out-of-office Newsletter

"John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:04:15 -0400

At 05:16 PM 08/28/1999 +0100, Mark Birbeck wrote:
>(Just teasing guys ... but how come I get loads of these out-of-office
>malarkies when I post to the list? Why don't they go to the list
>server?)

Ha! Yeah, I have to laugh at them, too. Unfortunately, a lot of mail
readers aren't smart enough to handle listserv and majordomo lists when all
the user does is turn on "Automatic out-of-office reply." A message comes
into their mailbox, and a reply goes instantly to the reply-to address...
generally the list itself. (At least some of them have an option to send
the out-of-office message only once to each correspondent.)

The terrors of technology....