Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Strawberry beds?
From: Glen Embertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:01:48 -0500

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 08:20:44PM +0000, Kerstin HOF wrote:

> I was wandering if anybody knows the lyrics for a song I heard the
> other night in a session... I can't get it out of my head anymore!!
>
> I can only remember bits of the chorus:
>
> ...where the strawberry beds sweep down to the Liffey.....
>    ... I love you well today and I'll love you more tomorrow , if you
> ever love my Molly, love me now.

The song is called The Ferryman / Ferrymen, and I think it goes
something like this:

All the little boats are gone,
From the banks(?) upon the Liffey,
The ferrymen are stranded on the quay,
Oh the Dublin docks are dying,
and a way of life was gone,
and Molly it was a part of you and me.

    Where the strawberry beds,
    Sweep down to the Liffey,
    I(You) kiss away the worries from your(my) brow,
    Cause I love you well today,
    and I'll love you more tomorrow,
    And if you ever loved me Molly love me now

Twas the only job I knew,
It was hard but never lonely,
The Liffey Ferry made a man of me,
But it's gone without a whisper
Forgotten even now,
Oh it's over Molly over can't you see

   [Chorus]

But now I'll tend the yard,
And spend me days a talking
I hear them whisper Charlie's on the dole
But Molly we're still livin'
and darling we're still young,
That river never owned my heart and soul.

   [Chorus]

Feel free to correct grammer/spelling.

Regards,

Glen