Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  August 1999

AFRIK-IT August 1999

Fwd: FYI: Statement concerning Y2K made by Herbert M'cleod of the UN Development Program, July 29, 1999 at GW University Y2K Conference

Patrick O'Beirne <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:30:09 +0100

>Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:42:59 -0400
>To: (Recipient list suppressed)
>From: "P. Gordon" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FYI: Statement concerning Y2K made by Herbert M'cleod of the
>   UN Development Program, July 29, 1999 at GW University Y2K Conference
>UAA33449
>
>Forwarded copy of a statement made at the George Washington University Y2K
>Conference on July 29, 1999
>                 ____________________________________________________
>

>                                         STATEMENT
>                                 BY MR. HERBERT  M'CLEOD
>                                AT THE PLENARY PANEL ON Y2K,
>                              THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY,
>                                     WASHINGTON D.C.

>Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen,
>

>Introduction:
>I am very pleased to represent the United Nations Development Programme
>at this gathering and to join such a distinguished panel.  Let me first
>thank the George Washington University for organizing this conference
>and Professor Paula Gordon for inviting me to this panel discussion on a
>topic, which is as vital for those living in advanced and
>technologically sophisticated countries, as for the rest of the world in
>less priviledged circumstances.
>
>I will confine my presentation to a description of UNDP's mission and
>the modest role we are playing in addressing Y2K issues in partner
>programme countries.  In addition, I will share with you our perception
>of what further steps are needed to prevent and/or mitigate any crisis
>situation in those countries and offer some suggestions on what we could
>do together to avert global and national crises.
>

>Context/Definition of Y2K:
>After 3 days of discussion, I am sure that there is now a common
>understanding of the problem and need not spend time redefining it.
>
>In any case the three circle illustration, so eloquently articulated by
>Professor Gordon in her working white paper, sums up the problem pretty
>well for us to continue our discourse.
>
>Indeed the Y2K is a complex, inter-related problem.  While IT/CT is at
>the core of the problem, understanding the magnitude of the implications
>of date-sensitive computer-chip embedded systems provides us with some
>kind of a picture of what we face.  The fact is that modern life as we
>know it in the developed and developing world is almost totally
>dependent on these embedded systems.  At the same time, the
>ever-increasing inter-linkages if not interdependence among all
>countries, borne out of globalization make all countries vulnerable in
>varying degrees to the otherwise simple technology problem of Y2K.
>
>Put differently, globalization of the world economies have progressed so
>rapidly that  disruptions in one region create repercussions upon others
>and isolation is now virtually impossible, and undesirable.
>
>Hence, the Y2K problem will have global, national, as well as local
>impacts on economic stability, social order, political systems, and even
> [...]

  Patrick O'Beirne B.Sc. M.A. FICS. Software Quality Consultant
  PSP, TickIT, Y2K PC software assessment, euro(EMU) conversion
  http://www.sysmod.com  Tel: +353 (0)55 22294   Fax: 055 22297
  Systems Modelling Ltd, Tara Hill, Gorey, Co. Wexford, IRELAND