XML-L July 1999

Re: xsl

"G. Ken Holman" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:45:17 -0700

At 99/06/30 17:04 -0700, Paul Holstein wrote:
>     I have read an article in the msdn-news about xsl beeing used to
>     transform one valid dtd into another valid dtd

To be precise, XSLT is used to transform an instance of XML that follows a
given model or models into a result hierarchy according to another model
(or even the same model) that can be emitted as an XML instance.

Neither XML instance need be valid, though they are both well formed.  This
means that neither XML instance needs to parse against a DTD, though they
may certainly do so if you wish.

This is why I used the term "model" instead of "DTD" because *every* XML
instance (valid or not) has an implicit hierarchical model of elements by
the very instantiation of those elements.

If desired, a single XSL stylesheet can be written to support the
transformation of instances following a number of different models.

>solving the
>     incompability problem.

Wow!  That sounds officious.  Compatibility is measured in many different
ways.  If your specific problem defines compatibility as validity according
to a DTD, and you have the need to manipulate arbitrary XML information
into an instance following that DTD, and all the information you need
(business rules, raw information, etc.) to do so can either be found in the
source data or expressed algorithmically in stylesheet logic, then your
problem can be solved.

But the last point is important and XSLT isn't magic ... it is very
powerful, but it can't make something out of nothing at all.

>     Has anyone heard about such a solution ?

My answer to your question is a roundabout way of saying "maybe".  For the
problems I've had to solve with XSLT the answer is "yes".

I hope this helps.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:[log in to unmask]
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/l/