XML-L July 1999

Re: Newbie is very confused...

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:11:48 +0100

> So here it goes: first, could someone point me towards the archives o=
> f the
> list.

This should be listed in the document you were sent when you subscribed.
If it's not, please let me know. http://listserv.heanet.ie/xml-l.html

> Second, how =
> do I go
> about learning XML? I know of many very interesting Web sites on the
> subject, but what I would really like to know are a few helpful title=
> s of
> printed references. I would like the book(s) to cover:
> 1) an overview of XML, its origins

Bob DuCharme's _Annotated XML Specification_ is very explanatory[1]

> 2) the tools I need to try this new language(?)

My own _Understanding SGML and XML Tools_ covers this[2]

> 3) code samples so I can understand how it works

There is a list of sites somewhere in the SGML/XML Web pages
at http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xml.html

> 4) whatever other information would be useful...
>
> I would like to find a book that covers the basics and beyond. Not as=
>  basic
> as a "For dummies" book however...

I guess the only caveat is that it is still a technical subject, so
most of the documentation still assumes that the readers are fairly
well versed in computing or text technology first.

///Peter
--
1. http://www.prenhall.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0130826766.html
2. http://imbolc.ucc.ie/~pflynn/books/sgmltools.html